Welcome to my Atom Imp File Search program page. I originally wrote this file search program after being frustrated by the unreliability of the Windows operating system search functions. Not only are the operating system search functions unreliable but they are also slow, not very flexible, and far too limited in their search abilities.
The purpose of the Atom Imp File Search program is to search for occurrences of text in either file names, folder names or in the content of textual files and to provide access to those folders and files in an easy manner. Your search may simply be a search of a literal text string or phrase or it can be as complicated as using a regular expression as the search template. Intermediate between these two extremes is the ability to use wildcards in your search expression.
The program is almost self-explanatory but, if needed, a help system is included to guide you in using the Atom Imp File Search program for searching your computer file system and data storage devices for file names and file textual content containing your specified words, phrases, or expressions. A video tutorial on the use of the program is also available.
As long as I needed to write a reliable file search program I decided to add a few useful search functions as well. In addition I wanted a file search program that was not only as fast as possible but the program also needed to have a minimal impact on system resources. This led to a program with the following features:
- The actual file search is done in a separate computer thread. The main program simply controls the thread. This results in a fast yet flexible file search.
- You can search file (and folder) names or textual file contents (or both) for any word, phrase or expression.
- You can search the contents of a specific folder or search the contents of a folder and all of its sub-folders.
- You can do your search in either a case sensitive or case insensitive manner.
- You have the option to use wildcards in your search. In wildcard mode five wildcards are defined for the beginning of a word, the end of a word, any single character, any string of characters, and an escape character.
- A standard list of text file types is used to determine what textual files are searched. Binary files such as image files are not searched for text. The program is flexible enough that you can add or remove file types from the list.
- Advanced users can search using regular expressions.
Click on the download image (at left) to download the Atom Imp File Search installation program.
I hope you find this program useful. This is my first endeavor in distributing my utility programs. This program is only one of several utility programs which I've developed over the last several years in order to support other programming projects but it is one that I find very useful. I developed these programs as a form of mental therapy in order to not become a mental vegetable after being released from the hospital and nursing homes (kudos to my daughter for devising this therapy).
Providing these utility programs for free is somewhat of an experiment. If they prove to be useful enough to result in prodigious downloads I probably will not be able to continue unless I receive enough contributions to pay for the continued development and distribution of these programs. If you find these programs useful I urge you help by contributing (i.e., simply click on the program's contribute button).
To provide feedback on my Atom Imp File Search program go to the File Search Facebook page.
As I receive additional resources I'll continue converting and upgrading my utility programs and providing them free to the public. In fact, in order to continue my mental therapy, I welcome suggestions for additional programs that you may wish were available. To make a suggestion just leave a comment on my Atom Imp Facebook page.